Dear Father, an indescribably horrific car crash occurred in Schoharie, NY around 2 pm on Saturday. Twenty people were killed when a limousine, with 18 occupants, sped through an intersection, struck a parked vehicle which then struck two pedestrians, and careened into a wooded ravine. The accident took place adjacent to the popular Apple Barrel store. The National Transportation Safety Board said it is the deadliest transportation accident in the United States since a plane crash in Buffalo in 2009. The occupants of the limousine had gathered for a surprise birthday party. The bus they had hired to drive them to the party destination broke down. The rental company sent the 2001 Ford Excursion stretch limousine as a substitute. At least one of the victims, Erin, texted her concern about the condition of the limo prior to the accident. The human toll is beyond comprehension
– One family lost their four daughters and their four sons-in-law. Killed in the crash were Abigail Jackson, Mary Dyson, Allison King, and Amy Steenburg and their husbands. It was Amy Steenburg’s birthday that the group was celebrating. Abby and her husband were the parents of a four-year-old and a 16-month-old who are now orphans.
– Newlyweds Erin and Shane McGowan were killed. Erin’s cousin Patrick Cushing died.
– The Steenburg family not only lost their son and daughter-in-law. They also lost a second son, Rich, in the crash.
– A Matthew Coons and a Savannah Devonne also died.
– Three unidentified additional passengers were also killed in the crash.
– The two pedestrians who were killed have not been identified.
– Scott Lisinicchia, the limo driver, was killed in the crash.
Father, I cannot fathom the grief of the couple who lost all four of their daughters in the same car crash. Their four sons-in-law are also gone. What on earth can be said to this couple? How do they grieve? How do they recover and resume their lives? Father, this accident is beyond comprehension. We don’t know why You permitted it to happen. We cannot possibly understand the pain of the survivors. Two young children must now go through life without parents. Another family is grieving the loss of two sons and a daughter-in-law. This story has a similarity to the horrors described in Job 1:13-19, especially verses 18 and 19.
All I can say is that we will believe You are good. You had some good purpose in this. Something good will come out of it. People will somehow learn through this tragedy of Your deep love for all people. Perhaps this accident will end up saving lives as transportation and safety official consider the safety of re-configured limousines as well as the dangerous intersection where the accident occurred.
Father, please attend to the many families who grieve this hour. Meet their every need. Pour out Your love to them. Be patient with them as they perhaps blame You for this crash. Bring Your church into their lives, demonstrating Your deep love and compassion. I also ask that You will minister to all the first responders and witnesses who now have this gruesome experience burned into their memories.